For making fluffy soft idlis you need:
4 cups idli rice
1 cup split urad dal
1\2 cup Fenugreek (methi) seeds
* Wash and soak the urad dal, idli rice and fenugreek seeds separately in water for at least 6 hours.
* Drain the extra water from fenugreek seeds, rice, urad dal and mix all together.
* Grind this material in mixer with adding minimum water.
* Make a smooth batter and add salt. The final batter should not be too thick or too watery.
To make idlis:
* Allow the batter to ferment for at least 12 hours.
Step 1: Heat 1 cup of water in idli cooker.
Step 2: Add the 3 tablespoons of batter in each of the idli plate and put it in idli cooker. Close the idli cooker with lid.
Step 3: Cool for about 10-12 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute and unmould.
Step 4: Serve hot with chutney of your choice and sambhar.
* Well fermented flour will give really fluffy and soft idli’s.
* If you live in US or any cold country, try keeping the flour in a conventional oven and keep the light on inside the oven.
* Fenugreek seeds is good for health so I add this in batter.
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds
6 curry leaves
1\2 tbsp asafetida powder
1 tbsp urad dal
2 small pieces of cinnamon
Method for the sambhar masala:
Step 1: Roast all the ingredients individually in a pan.
Ingredients for sambhar:
1\2 cup chopped white gourd
1\2 cup chopped carrot
2 big size drumstick (diced)
1 big size finely chopped onion
2 cups tuvar dal
3 tbsp sambhar masala
Few curry leaves
1\2 tbsp cumin seeds
1\2 tbsp mustard seeds
1\2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp red chilli powder
A pinch of hing
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish.
Method for the Sambhar:
Step 3: Drain extra water form cook vegetables.
* To ensure that the smabhar tastes fresh, do not use sambhar masala that is over two month-old.
* If you prefer your smbhar strong, then add a pinch of clove powder to tuvar dla while soaking it.
* If the smabhar is too thick, dilute milk in water and add it to the smabhar.
* If you add more water while cook the tuvar dal then can be reused to cook vegetable this will help retain the flavor and nutrition of the sambhar.
Step 1: Grind coconut, ½ cup dalia, salt and chilies to a smooth paste adding required amount of water.