Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Green Chilli Pickle

Ingredients:
250gm green chillies,
4-5 tbsp mustard seed powder,
5-tbsp lemon juice,
2-tbsp haldi powder,
2-tbsp oil,
Salt to taste. Method:
Step 1: Wash the green chillies and cut off the tops.
Step 1: Remove the stalks of the green chillies and cut in to long thin pieces.
Step 2: Heat the oil till smoking; add the mustard seed powder and haldi powder in it.
Step 3: Cool to room temperature and add lemon juice.
Step 4: Then add chopped green chillies and salt.
Step 6: Mix well so that the chillies get coated with the masalas.Step 7: Clean glass jars and place the green chillies in the jar.

Benefits:
· An excellent source of beta-carotene and vitamin C.
· May help relieve nasal congestion.
· May help prevent blood clots that can lead to a heart attack or stroke.

Drawbacks:
· Require careful handling during preparation to prevent irritation of the skin and eyes.
· May irritate hemorrhoids in susceptible people.

The following is a description of a selection of popular peppers from the mildest to the hottest from book of Reader’s Digest.

MILD TO MODERATELY HOT:
· Anaheim: These long, slender red or green chillies are among the most popular in North America.
· Ancho: These dark red, heart-shaped peppers are usually dried.
· Cherry: These small, round red chillies are often pickled.
· Poblano: Green chillies with a small, tapered shape; they are usually roasted, and may be stuffed or added to a variety of dishes.
HOT:
· Cascabel: These round red or green chillies are usually dried.
VERY HOT:
· Cayenne: These long red chillies are dried and often ground into a hot pepper spices.
· Habanero or Scotch Bonnet: Shaped like red, yellow, or orange lanterns, these are considered the hottest of cultivated chilles.
· Jalapeno: These tapered green or red chillies are sold fresh, canned, or pickled.
· Serrano: These small, bullet-shaped green or red chillies are often used in hot salsas.

8 comments:

FH said...

My mouth is watering and my cheeks are hurting!;D
Yum!! I love this.It does get milder as it soaks in the juice.Love the pics.Thanks Kajal.

TNL said...

I love this so much....I have a question, can this be made with Methi kuria or are the rai na kuria better?

trupti

Kajal said...

Hi Asha,
Thank you very much. One thing I talk with you is that when you comment me my comment session is work. I have so many problem to reply to comment to every body but some times is automatic correct it. Every one think that I am not reply but my net connection speed is very low. I complain it but this is India.Thanks again for your lovely word.:)

Kajal said...

Hi Trupti,
Thank you. It is also done by Methi kuria. Methi kuria is good for health but test is batter by rai kuria. This time I post for your event. My mum recipe say Gujarati “Adadiya”. Have a nice day.:)

Shubha Ravikoti said...

This recipe is yummy kajal...:) thanks for sharing.

I had this question and u were the best person I can ask. I was wondering how to make that dry Athanu u get in with thepla packets in india. Its like pickle.. but a bit dry....:) It has so mango, chilli or any veggies in it... just the mustard seeds. How is the recipe for that?? can u please share?

Anonymous said...

Thank u very much because my search for receipe of green chilli pickle ends here.

manju said...

hi
plz tell me what is rai nu kuria n methi nu kuria as i am non gujarati so doesnt know what exactly kuria is.also in green chilli pickle u used yellow mustard seeds or black ?

Anonymous said...

Rai nu kuriya is split mustard seeds and methi nu kuriya is crushed fenugreek seeds readyly available in indian groceries stores.